29 May 2011

I Am Too Close For Him To Dream About Me.

Well... I will not conceal that I'm not the biggest poetry's fan and connoisseur.
I definitely adore the 20th century prose but if we're talking about the poetry... aside from knowing the poems of Edgar Allan Poe and Sylvia Plath, I'm a complete layman. Some time ago I saw the documentary about the Polish Nobel laureate - Wislawa Szymborska, and she put a spell on me!
She's 88 years old right now, she loves to collect kitschy things and she's the cutest and funniest old lady in the world! I decided to read one of her poetry books, and you know what? I'm completely in love!
The themes of her poems are so charming and innocuous and interesting

A dead beetle lies on the path through the field.
Three pairs of legs folded neatly on its belly.
Instead of death's confusion, tidiness and order.
The horror of this sight is moderate.

 I read it, and marked poems that I like with tiny hearts, and now my book is full of pencil hearts ♥

My apologies to time for all the world I overlook each second.
My apologies to past loves for thinking that the latest is the first.
Forgive me, distant wars, for bringing flowers home.
Forgive me, open wounds, for pricking my finger.
I apologize for my record of minuets to those who cry from the depths.
I apologize to those who wait in railway stations for being asleep today at five a.m.
Pardon me, hounded hope, for laughing from time to time.
Pardon me, deserts, that I don't rush to you bearing a spoonful of water.
And you, falcon, unchanging year after year, always in the same cage,
your gaze always fixed on the same point in space,
forgive me, even if it turns out you were stuffed.
My apologies to the felled tree for the table's four legs.
My apologies to great questions for small answers.
Truth, please don't pay me much attention.
Dignity, please be magnanimous.
Bear with me, O mystery of existence, as I pluck the occasional thread from your train.
Soul, don't take offense that I've only got you now and then.
My apologies to everything that I can't be everywhere at once.
My apologies to everyone that I can't be each woman and each man.
 
And this is my foxy ring - I love kitschy things too! :D

17 comments:

  1. These poems are beautiful! I love your ring, it is possibly the cutest ring ever!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. thoses pictures are so amazing!!!
    i love this kind ofpic, u have anew followe here :)
    http://www.thefourthcornerofstephanie.blogspot.com/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am inlove with that ring! I just stumbled accross your blog and I love it <3 Your hair in the pictures below, Oh i love it ;) your blog is so nice <3
    http://circusclouds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just discovered your blog and i think, it's sooo great! just love it! i guess, you have a new follower now ;)

    xoxo, suzie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm falling in love whit this pictures, all them are nice! The ring is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FANTASTIC!! I Love your ring! it's so cool!!!

    ciao ciao from Rome
    BExCLUSIVE MAGAZINE

    http://bexclusivemagazine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to steal your ring!
    Your blog is amazing! <3
    Following you!!
    Hope you follow me too!
    http://cutenerdglasses.blogspot.com/
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet!!!Love your ring!
    http://chiccastyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh that must be the cutest ring I have ever seen :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the same ring! but it is pink and I imagine a cat, not a fox.
    that first poem is very beautiful, did you translate it yourself? My favorite poet ever is William Blake, but in general haiku is my favorite style of poem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am Polish and that so flattering that u read polish poetry :) she is amazing writer.
    wow.
    Luv your style by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aaa od razu jak na Twoją buzię spojrzałam, to tak podejrzewałam, że Tyś polish girl, jakaś telepatia rodaków:)))

    Ale patrząc na Twoje zdjęcia, ma się wrażenie że przeniosłaś tutaj kawałek USA:) Kapitalny, barwny styl. Uwielbiam!

    Aaa from the first sight I knew that you're polish girl:)))

    But looking at your photos, I have the impression that you bring here a piece of USA:) Brilliant, colourful style. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love your fox ring, can you please tell me if it's available to buy online? Thanks x Sushi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Znalazłam twój blog prze przypadek, i oglądam go sobie i oglądam i myślę, fajne amerykańskie dziewcze, gdy nagle zobaczyłam tomik Szymborksiej i czytam notkę, że przeczytałaś jej wiersze i myślę sobie... jakim cudem czyta po polsku? Czy ona jest polką no i patrzę na górę a ty jak byk żeś ty nasz! niezłe zaskoczenie :D haha
    p.s obserwuję z lubieżną chęcią twój blog!

    ReplyDelete